Sunday, January 14, 2018

Major, Major Turmoil in my Life...

But absolutely none of it is related to my being a sissy...

Right around the end of the year, I came down with that really nasty flu bug that's going around. The one that the flu vaccine doesn't really work for because the powers that be guessed incorrectly as to the strain for this year. I was pretty much bed ridden for about 5 days, and didn't really start feeling like myself until Wednesday the 3rd.

So about half the time, I was able to work from home, and the other half of the time I worked from an office. Convenient because of all my international travel. And with technology being what it is, and with the profession I'm in, I am fortunate that I can work equally well in an office or at home.

So I had a call with my boss on the 3rd, and learned that (as the Brits would say) my "position has been made redundant." That's a polite way of saying that I've been laid off.

Major bummer...

So that explains why I haven't been posting at all, and I apologize for that.

My full-time job right now is to find a full-time job! All things being said, I've been gainfully unemployed since the 9th of January, so it hasn't been so long yet, and because of my severance I've still got my pay and benefits for a couple months. But still there's this underlying stress.


3 comments:

  1. Yeah, that whole downsizing thing really sucks!!! I was laid off in October and I am in my early sixties. In 2017 my income was over $180,000. Here's the problem I'm facing, who the hell wants to pay that kind of money, to a 60+ employee......KNOWING you'll only get maybe 5 years out of them?

    I hired people in th past and while you can't ask people there age, it's easy to figure out when you look at their resume. It's a catch 22, I list everything on my resume so I can get an interview for a high paying job. But, that allows them to figure out my age???

    Good luck on the your job search!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about a bad way to start the new year. Best of luck with the job search!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brace yourself, we can go through this together.

    ReplyDelete