Saturday, August 5, 2017

High School Years

High school was an interesting time for me. I would say that I was a geek, but that wouldn't really be true. Yes, I got phenomenally good grades, but it wasn't because I ever studied. I took every advanced course that was offered, and just seemed to do well in all of them. I do remember doing the homework that was assigned, but other than that I just paid attention in class, stuck my hand in the air from time to time, and "participated." And the grades just came. I don't think I ever worried about grades, in fact I don't think I ever even consciously thought of them.

So high school academics weren't anything challenging at all.

But I also took part in high school athletics, running cross country and track. Most enjoyable for me, but as I reflect back on the sports I enjoyed they weren't team sports. They were sports where individual effort was what mattered. I didn't pay attention to the "big" sports like football or basketball - and even to this day they hold no appeal for me. Just not interested. I was a little bit smaller than average for high school, and really didn't even "catch up" size wise until I was well into college.

After school and my practices, I would usually just head either to the library or home. I didn't "hang out" with any of the cliques in the school, although I seemed to get along with them. I guess you could call me "happy go lucky" in my demeanor. I remember that I used to go for drives around town during my last couple of years in high school. Small town, lots of back roads but nothing really "out in the sticks." Just winding country roads in suburbia.

I was generally a loner and didn't see anything wrong with that at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment