Monday, September 4, 2017

You May Have Noticed

So far in my (short) blog, I've recounted some of the story of my life. It's interesting how the act of writing things down forces you to think of them. For some of my posts, I've started out with something short, but that initially short post explodes into additional details and ends up being pretty long. And even as long as some of my posts are, they pale in comparison to the actual details of what was going on in my life at the time.

But at the same time, I am intentionally being vague in some details. A lot of the details in fact. To understand why, you have to understand that I am an intensely introverted person. I simply don't share details about myself very often or very openly. If you met me on the street, and if you got to know me, you would never, ever know that I'm the person writing this blog. It would seem so uncharacteristic of me. I have to smile to myself as I say that I'm probably a marketer's worst nightmare. I don't shop online very much, I don't give out identifying information when I DO shop, I'm not influenced by commercials or advertisements at all, I buy only what I really need, and only when I really need it. More often than not, I pay using cash. Living in an urban area as I do, I live pretty much under the grid. I don't avoid it completely, but I minimize my exposure to it. Social media? Nope. Don't trust them. Credit cards? Minimal (and rare) use. I don't trust government and I don't trust many of the big companies out there. As a result, those around me - family, friends, work colleagues, and others might think they know me, but they really don't.

It has been perhaps 10 years or so that I've begun to explore the person I really am. I can honestly say that it has come as a breath of fresh air. Liberating? Emotionally freeing? Yeah. Those things. And much more I guess. On one hand, that newfound emotional freedom cries out to me... Demanding that I share my story. On the other hand, there's this introverted side of me. This fear of discovery. So I AM sharing my story, but slowly and carefully. I WANT to share my story, but at the same time be completely and absolutely protective of my privacy.

So as I go forward with my history, you should expect that I'll be very, very careful in my choice of words. There will be a lot of details that I intentionally leave out. I'll probably focus more on how I felt when things were happening, and less on the prurient details of what happened. I hope you'll forgive me for that, but if not (shoulders shrugging) it's my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment